Saturday, December 10, 2016

Moving to Hilo

After accumulating a little money the family moved to Hilo on the Island of Hawaii. There Anton worked as a painter receiving five dollars a day.

Now, I'm going to be a millionaire. Evodokia thought to herself, this is the life. During the first year in Hilo, Evdokia had her second child. There was no doctor and her mother was hundreds of miles away so she locked the door of the bedroom and had her baby alone. She was young and unexperienced in such matters so she lay the entire day with the umbilical cord attached . Later her husband broke the lock and brought her a midwife.

In 1916 The Samborsky's sailed for America, 1933 Anton Samborsky died, and in 1935 Evdokia remarried... This time a Russian Colonel, but that is another story.

My mama and I.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all these amazing stories! It's shocking Ms. Evdokia gave a birth by herself!! She is absolutely strong..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so brave. I loved the narrative writings of history. I will miss your posts! Let me know if you post more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe that she locked the door and had the baby all by herself. That is so amazing and crazy. I have really enjoyed getting to know you family better and hearing their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evodokia was very brace! Thank you for sharing your family history. It's been so interesting to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness ! I could not imagine giving birth all alone ! what a brave woman ! Loved hearing about your family :)

    ReplyDelete