Saturday, November 5, 2016

My Great- Grandparents life in Russia


                                                      
                                                        Evdokia Gregovna Zaharoff/ Grigori 
I came across interesting letters my great-grandparents left behind on my dad's side. I would love to share their lives in Russia. I am really excited to find history about my family from 1905.

Her feelings during her long difficult journey from Russia-"I was young and happy and believed in God," 
                                                    Flight from Russia-(1905) 

Though 70 years have passed, she still remembers that night when the Czar's Cossacks came to their hometown of Odessa on the black sea and not only took her father but all of their possessions. She also remembers how, after the Cossacks had gone, the children helped their mother bring straw into the house to make beds on the hard mud floor; and as they lay in the dark, her mother telling them that the Cossacks had come because she and their father did not worship in the Czar's church (Russian Orthodox). She explained that they had chosen their own religion, the Russian Baptist, because they did not believe in worship icons or images. 


Grigori Zaharoff was fortunate that he was a father of six children because it was for this reason alone    that he was not kept in prison. They told him that this had just been a warning. Next time, if he did not leave Odessa, he would be given the whip. Such terrifying experiences were what promoted Grigori to move to the city of Omsk half way across Siberia. They traveled by hired horse and buggy, Enroute misfortune struck again, all the six children became sick with measles, however, the children found it to be an unusual experience because the house in which they stayed, while recuperating, was underground and their beds nothing more than shelves cut from the earth. 
Anton Samborsky at the age of 26
This is my great grandpa.







8 comments:

  1. This is amazing. Did you happen to find the letter? You even have a photo of your great grandpa. Wow.. I read your post after reading Jessica's, Mandy's and Mercedes', and found out that so many people have lived in anguish all over the world, regardless of region and time. I wonder if the event happened before the first Russian Revolution in 1905. It must have been a tough time in Russia. It's far more exciting than I expected. I look forward to your next story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so cool that you have letters from your great-grandparents. Are they written in Russian? Is there anyone that can help you translate? I'm exciting to hear more about their journey to America and what that was like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I was so excited to find gems in my parents room. My aunt translated it all in English for her kids, but when they passed away they gave them to my father. It's so cool to find old pictures. I never had a chance to meet my Russian grandpa because he died of a massive heart attack when my dad was three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome you have all of those primary sources to look back and reflect on ! Like I was saying about Mandy's family artifacts it is always so cool and that much more interesting when history gets personal. There is so much you will be able to tell from their letters that can be much more telling. I do not know much on Russian history but it has always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's wonderful to have a letter from grandparent. History is cruel sometimes, we are lucky and cheerful living in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you! Its always fascinating to find a piece of your family history. I especially love looking through my grandparents old pictures and reading the notes they wrote on the back of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't imagine that as a child. Such a journey that she took with her family. She must have been a strong lady to handle such an epic beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome that you have a primary source from your family's history. Definitely put that in a safe spot :) Was all of the above information inside that letter? Or did a family member tell you about the traveling?

    ReplyDelete